2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008

Muonium states in HgO

Authors: J. M. Gil, H. V. Alberto, R. C. Vil√£o, J. Piroto Duarte, N. Ayres de Campos, A. Weidinger, E. A. Davis, S. F. J. Cox

Ref.: J. Phys. Condens. Matter 13, L613-L618 (2001)

Abstract: Experimental data on muonium states in HgO are presented, Muon spin rotation (mu SR) experiments show that, at low temperatures, approximately 80% of muons implanted into a polycrystalline sample form paramagnetic centres with hyperfine interaction parameters A(iso) = 14.93(5) MHz and D = 5.2(1) MHz. The remaining 20% form diamagnetic states. Diffusion of the paramagnetic state through equivalent sites is observed above 10 K, averaging the apparent anisotropy to a low value at and above 50 K. The variations of the amplitudes of the two signals with temperature indicate that the paramagnetic centres ionize in a temperature range centred around 160 K and that the associated donor levels lie considerably further from the conduction band edge than the corresponding states in ZnO and other II-VI compounds.

DOI: 10.1088/0953-8984/13/27/101